Practing Mammal and Sparky and their Offspring Get Some History

This blog is a sister blog to Practicing Mammal. I made it that way so that I wasn't always posting about our trip. Because some of my readers maybe don't care about our trip. I don't mind. But its an easy way for me to journal our trip for our family. Please join us if it pleases you. Blessings!

Saturday, September 17, 2011

September 16th. It's my Birthday in DC. And the next day, too.

What a great day mom had.  We went out for breakfast, we went to the National Art Gallery again, saw some of the sights from a tour bus so we know where we want to go tomorrow.  Went to the Natural History Museum.  Please note.  In the mammal part of the museum, it says that mammals nourish their young from their mammary glands.  So, you women who are concerned about nursing in public, even the Natural History Museum is acknowledging that you are a mammal and therefore this is how you feed your young.  In public or not.

Huckleberry at the Postal Museum


see?  told ya


We hung out at the White House for a while.  Sparky was sure if we hung out long enough that something exciting would happen.  But nothing did really.  Then we walked past the Starbucks that the Obamas probably slip over to to get coffee on Sunday mornings.


 they let me through the gate just for a quick minute to snap this...just kidding,
I would have been shot

cute family at the White House


A work of "art" in DC

 We then did some other stuff.  It was fun.  I just can't remember what it was.  Went for a swim, had dinner, then Sparky took me out to an Irish pub (Irish pubs are in every single city we have been in, BTW) with a singer/guitarist/Irishy kind of guy.  Very fun. 
 
Here is a interesting bit of trivia.  A few years back, a large restoration project was funded for the original American flag.  13,000,000 dollars was donated by Ralph Lauren for this purpose.

I learned that today.  Sparky and the boys and Rosebud went to the aquarium today.  Polly and I went back to that darned Art Museum.  Man they have a lot of art there.  We met up again at the National Archives, and, being Canadians, we took a quick glance at the Declaration of Independence and beetled out of there.  We really just wanted to see where that part of National Treasure was filmed.  The Declaration was pretty interesting too.

National Archives Building


The Capitol Building, seen from almost anywhere you are in DC

 We spent the afternoon seeing some monuments.   DC is totally monumentville.  There is a monument for every notable person and every notable event in American history.  The most impressive we visited today was the Lincoln Memorial.  And I will tell you this.  I hope Mr. Lincoln is happy about it.  This is one impressive monument.  Like a whole park and a whole small sized Coliseum and an Ozymandius-sized statue all in one.

















I could tell you quite a bit about monuments, but I'm not going to. 



 A couple of shots from the Museum of Natural History.


Easter Island Guy

Nemo






No comments:

Post a Comment